Cotati, CA- With the Fourth of July holiday fast approaching, the Marin/Sonoma Mosquito and Vector Control District is reminding residents to protect themselves from mosquito bites.
"The Fourth of July holiday is centered around outdoor activities, especially during dusk when mosquitoes are most active," said Nizza Sequeira, Public Relations Director. "It is important that residents protect themselves from mosquito bites by wearing long sleeves and pants, and applying an effective insect repellent to exposed skin," said Sequeira.
When there is a need for both sunscreen and insect repellent, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends using two separate products rather than a dual purpose one, as repellents do not need to be reapplied as often as sunscreen.
The Marin/Sonoma Mosquito and Vector Control District, in accordance with the California Department of Public Health, recommends repellents that contain one of the following active ingredients:
- Oil of lemon eucalyptus
Other ways to protect yourself from mosquitoes and mosquito bites include:
- Stock permanent water features with mosquitofish (available for free from our District)
- Be sure to properly screen and/or secure lids on rain barrels or water storage containers
- Do not over-water lawns
- Clean out bird baths and animal water bowls at least twice a week
- Keep swimming pools and hot tubs properly chlorinated
- Make sure that septic tank lids are properly sealed and vent pipes are screened
- Report mosquito problems at 707-285-2200 or online at www.msmosquito.com
Release Date: Jul 3, 2018