Heavy rain and flooding can lead to increased mosquito production. With more water comes more mosquitoes and a higher risk of mosquito-borne disease. Early prevention can reduce mosquito numbers as the weather gets warmer.
Here are some tips to help minimize mosquito production around your home:
- Clear debris from drainage ditches to allow water flow.
- Use a sump pump to remove standing water that may have accumulated under your home.
- Maintain swimming pools and spas.
- Remove tarps, trash, containers, tin cans, jars, buckets, etc.
- Recycle or dispose of old tires.
- Clean rain gutters.
- Dump water from items stored outside including kiddie pools, wheelbarrows, bird baths and plant saucers.
- Properly screen or seal rainwater harvesting containers.
- Click here for our "Common Backyard Mosquito Sources" checklist.
For more information or to report mosquito issues visit www.msmsoquito.org.