As we soak in the last rays of summer sun, it's prime time for sizzling BBQs and al fresco feasting. However, there's one uninvited guest (or multiple) that can put a damper on the festivities: yellowjackets! These pesky, and sometimes dangerous, insects are notorious for crashing outdoor gatherings, especially this time of year when their populations are at their peak. But fret not, because we've got your back – or rather, your plate – covered.
- Keep trash cans and recycling bins away from eating areas and secure lids.
- Keep food and drinks covered when not in use and consider using mesh food domes.
- If using yellowjacket lure traps, place them along your fence line or as far away from eating and cooking areas as possible. Remember, they lure in yellowjackets, so you don’t want them above picnic tables, BBQ’s, or any other highly trafficked areas.
- Clean up fallen fruit, animal feces and keep pet food dishes indoors.
- Avoid using items yellowjackets may be attracted to (such as perfume and other scents, hair spray, heavily scented suntan lotion, and brightly colored clothing).
The only way to truly eliminate a yellowjacket problem in your backyard is by locating the underground nest and calling us for free eradication. Learn more: https://www.msmosquito.org/yellowjacket-control-program.
The Marin/Sonoma Mosquito and Vector Control District's programs and services are funded through property taxes and benefit assessments and are provided to all residents in Marin and Sonoma counties at no additional charge.