Skip to main content
Ways to Protect Yourself from WNV
Reduce outdoor exposure to mosquitoes
- Use an EPA-registered insect repellent with one of the following active ingredients:DEETpicaridinIR3535Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE)Para-menthane-diol (PMD)
- Wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Avoid being outdoors during peak mosquito activity (dawn and dusk).
Reduce indoor exposure to mosquitoes:
- Keep doors and windows closed whenever possible.
- Check and maintain all window and door screens.
Prevent mosquitoes from growing near your home:
- Use this checklist to help identify areas around your home that may produce mosquitoes.
- Flip, dump or drain all temporary sources of standing water.
- Contact the Marin/Sonoma Mosquito & Vector Control District (800.231.3236) if you have a mosquito-related problem that you cannot resolve on your own.