- Our classroom tick presentations focus on safety tips as well as the biology and ecology of ticks.
- Each class borrows a life cycle kit that includes preserved tick specimens, magnifers, and a tick life cycle wheel.
- Students are provided with activity books that reinforce what was learned during the lesson.
- Classroom tick packets are available to local educators who are not able to schedule a tick presentation (see details below).
The following list includes the presentations and activity books that we use. Presentations are provided in PowerPoint format.
Ticks: Life Cycle and Safety Tips
While exploring a digital oak woodland habitat, students learn the tick life cycle and safety tips. The lesson concludes with an exciting, interactive matching game that reinforces the topics from the lesson.PresentationActivity Journal
Grade: 3rd and up
Ticks: Biology, Disease and Safety Tips
Upper graders discover how ticks are important vectors of disease for humans and animals. Lyme disease is used an example to illustrate how the disease cycle includes certain ticks, wildlife and humans.PresentationActivity Journal
Classroom tick packets:
Our tick-related educational materials are available free of charge to any teacher in Marin and Sonoma counties, even if an in-class presentation is not scheduled.
Each classroom tick packet includes:
- Tick ID card (1 per student)
- Tick activity book (1 per student)
- Tick magnifiers (1 per student, when available)
- Tick habitat puzzle (1 per classroom)
- 18" X 24" TIck Posters are available (1 per classroom)
To order a classroom tick packet, please email Nizzas@msmosquito.org
- Please provide us with your name, school, address, grade level(s), number of students, and date you need the packet.
- Please give us at least two weeks notice.